To Prospective Students
Last update: Nov. 4, 2011.
I am looking for students who want to pursue PhD degree in wireless communications at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia. If you are highly self-motivated with strong background in mathematics and EE, please drop me an email (email@example.com) with a title "PhD Student Application".
If you are a holder or candidate of China Scholarship Council (CSC) Award (中国公派研究生) for CSC Doctoral Program (攻读博士学位), you are also invited to contact me. UNSW can provide tuition fee remission scholarship (TFS) for successful CSC scholarship recipients (closing date: 20 January 2012). Details are at: UNSW-CSC PhD Program and CSC-UNSW PhD Scholarship
To all applicants:
You may find the following information useful for your application. Should you have any further inquiries, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Situated in Sydney City, 8 km to Sydney Opera House, 6 km to Sydney Airport, 2 km to Coogee Beach. Google Map.
UNSW in Wikipedia (English)
UNSW in Wikipedia (Chinese)
2011 overall rankings in the world (the 49th)
2011 world rankings in EE (the 34th)
General information to studying and living at UNSW (Link)
Postgraduate Guides - Engineering (Link)
MIMO wireless communications, cooperative communications, relay networks, multihop networks and cognitive radio. Please refer to my publications for recent research results.
Fees & Costs
Apply for Scholarships
- For international students (those who are NOT Australian permanent resident (PR) or citizens)
You can apply for UNSW International Research Scholarships (closing date: Applicants wishing to apply for scholarships commencing in Semester 2, i. e. August 2012, must submit their application by February 2012.) It provides a remission for tuition fees and a living allowance (tax-free AUD $20,000 per annum) for 3 years.
Please note: Applicants who have not applied for admission to a research degree at UNSW will NOT be considered for an UNSW International Research Scholarship.
You can also consider applying for China Scholarships, if you are from mainland China and are interested in China Scholarship Council (CSC) Program (中国公派研究生) and would like to apply for the PhD program commencing Semester 2 2012, i.e., August 2012. Pleaser read the following pages:
Additionally, you can consider applying for Australian Government Scholarships.
- For local students (PR or citizens of Australia), you may be interested in applying for local scholarships http://www.grs.unsw.edu.au/scholarships/local.html
Apply for Admission
"If you are considering applying for a PhD or research Master degree we suggest before submitting your application you look at the online information about the Faculty offering programs in your area. Once you have identified the people working in your chosen area please make direct contact with them to discuss a proposal. If this person agrees to be a supervisor then put in a formal application. You can use the Apply for Admission Online service which has an application fee of only AUD$50. Please note that to use this service you must have a credit card (either a Visa or Master card). You can of course send in an application for a research degree without having organized a supervisor. However, if you have a supervisor arranged, the application and assessment process will proceed much faster. Research applications can take 12 weeks or more to fully process."
To apply for admission to postgraduate research program at UNSW, you may need to do following:
Step 1: Contact a potential supervisor
You can drop me an email (email@example.com) to discuss your research interests and send me a research proposal. You also should attach a CV with the email. In the CV, you should show the following:
- Contact details,
- Education background (with GPA and Rank),
- Awards and Prizes,
- Research experience,
- Publications (if any),
- English language proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL), (please check English Language Proficiency Requirements)
- Computer skills,
- References (contact details of 2 or 3 references.)
Step 2: Apply for Admission Online. Before doing that, you should check How to Apply and Minimum Requirements
You will need the following information to Apply for Admission Online:
- Research Degree: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Program Title: Electrical Engineering
- Program Code: 1640
- Previous Education
- English Language Test Result (please read English Language Proficiency Requirements )
- References (contact details of at least 2 references)
- An Australian Dollars $50 non-refundable deposit fee (Credit Card Only for online application)
- Application closing dates:
- Semester 1: 20 December*
- Semester 2: 30 May*
*Late applications may be accepted. Please contact the Graduate Research School for further information
- UNSW Academic Calendar https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/resources/AcademicCalendar.html
- UNSW Map http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/maps.html
- UNSW http://www.unsw.edu.au/
- Faculty of Engineering, UNSW http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/
- School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications http://www.eet.unsw.edu.au/
- UNSW Graduate Research School: http://www.grs.unsw.edu.au/homepage.html
- China Scholarship Council http://www.csc.edu.cn/
- EET School Postgraduate Research Student Information Pack: http://scoff.ee.unsw.edu.au/information/ResearchStudentinfopack2010.pdf
- Graduate School Research Student Enrollment for New International Students: http://www.grs.unsw.edu.au/downloads/IntEnrolS110.pdf
- Research Student Handbook: http://www.grs.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/handbook/ResearchStudentHandbook2009.pdf