The study might be a good fit for your child if they are:
- Aged between 3 and 12 years old.
- Born in Australia and, if old enough, they have received all their education in Australia and speak English.
- No problems with hearing and vision.
- At least one parent/carer/guardian who completed all their primary and secondary schooling in Australia.
If you decide to have your child take part in the research study:
- We’ll check that the study is suitable for your child.
- Your child will be invited to a 2-hour session at one of the universities listed above. Here they will do several activities and games on an iPad – saying real and made-up words, sentences, or telling a story about some pictures.
- Their speech will be audio and video recorded for future analysis and research.
- If 2 hours is too much for your child, we may ask you to make two shorter visits.
You will be reimbursed $50 to cover travel, parking, meals and other expenses associated with the research study visit/s.
4. What are the possible benefits to participation?
We hope to use information we get from this research study to benefit others. The database will allow innovative research on the development of children’s speech and the role technology can play in supporting speech development. It will provide an essential resource for future studies building educational apps (e.g. for reading) and speech therapy apps for Australian children, and pronunciation coaching apps for children learning to speak English.