- We are organising and hosting the SDN Training and Certification Workshop which will give participants 5-day hands-on training in SDN hardware and controllers, along with formal ONF SDN certifications (OCSA and OCSE). Please click on the link above to register and pay - class size is strictly limited.
- Prof. Vijay Sivaraman gave a keynote address on SDN at the IEEE ANTS'16 conference in Bangalore, calling for industry and academia to collaborate on building the ecosystem and trialling solutions. [slides]
- Vijay has been elevated to a full Professor at UNSW!
- We presented and demonstrated our CaSToR and TeleScope solutions at the SDN World Congress in The Hague in Netherlands. CaSToR is an SDN-based interconnect solution, and TeleScope is an SDN-based approach to detecting and profiling video flows in the network.
- We gave lightning talks on CaSToR and TeleScope at AusNOG.
- We hosted Dr Arun Vishwanath from IBM Reserach who gave a talk on Energy Management in Smart Buildings.
- Ke Hu's paper on Air Pollution Estimation Models has been accepted into the IEEE Sensors conference to be held in Florida, USA, in November.
- Team UNSW (Himal, Winston, Jason, Vijay) participated in the SDN Hackathon in Victoria University Wellington, New Zealand, and got the first prize for building and demonstrating a system for detecting DDoS attacks and pushing the mitigation upstream using inter-domain APIs - well done team!
- Dominic Chan presented our paper at ACM WiSec'16 on smart-phone malware that can scout for IoT devices inside the home and disable the firewall for an outside attacker.
- We were sucessful in obtain a grant from ACCAN to identify and inform consumers on the security threats associated with IoT.
- The contract between UNSW and Cisco has been signed for official commencement of the ARC Linkage project.
- We organised an SDN Demo and Hackfest that was attended by over 20 people, including Dan Pitt of the ONF. Several teams gave demonstrations of working SDN systems, and 4 teams competed in a hackathon to build a home networking solution using the Zodiac SDN boards.
- We attended the Open Networking Summit in California - it was great to see the new developments in SDN, and to meet with various people deeply immersed in SDN.
- Vijay gave a phone interview with NAB's Online Health View on the rle of wearables in healthcare, and associated mechanisms needed for securing the data.
- The ANZ-SDN Alliance has received some sponsorship money, and we are commencing development of the CaSToR SDN app for Internet Exchange Points.
- We are co-organising the SDN mega-event with speakers from ONF, Optus, Telstra, Megaport, IIX, ESNet, AARNet, and many more. Please visit web-site to register.
- We hosted the ITNAC 2015 conference at UNSW. Our paper "Third-party Customization of Residential Internet Sharing using SDN" won a highly commended award.
- Vijay has been appointed as a Research Associate of the ONF.
- Our paper titled "Broadband Fast-Lanes with Two-Sided Control: Design, Evaluation and Economics" has been accepted at IEEE/ACM IWQoS.
- We hosted an SDN meet-up at Fishburners in Sydney in which Hugh Macready and Luke Exton talked about making SDN practical.
- We hosted an SDN meet-up in Melbourne in which Martin Foster talked about SDN at PacNet.
- Our paper titled "Pricing User-Sanctioned Dynamic Fast-Lanes Driven by Content Providers" has been accepted into IEEE Infocom Smart Data Pricing (SDP) workshop.
- We hosted an SDN meet-up in which David Wilde talked about SDN initiatives at AARNet and globally.
- I am back in Australia from my sabbatical in California!
- Our paper titled "Comparing Edge and Host Traffic Pacing in Small Buffer Networks" has been accepted to appear in Computer Networks (Elsevier) journal.
- I am proud to say that Thivya Kandappu received her PhD degree on 11 Nov.
- We received an ARC-LIEF grant to build an SDN test-bed spanning 10 organisations in Australia. Construction of this test-bed will commence in 2015.
- We presented our paper titled "An Experimental Study of Security and Privacy Risks with Emerging Household Appliances" at IEEE M2Msec workshop co-located with IEEE CNS in San Francisco. This also led to an invitation on Katherine Albrecht's radio show.
- Our paper titled "Securing First-Hop Data Provenance for Bodyworn Devices using Wireless Link Fingerprints" has been accepted into the IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, to appear in Dec 2014.
- I have left for my sabbatical at HP in Palo Alto, California, working on SDN. I will return to UNSW in Jan 2015.
- We held an SDN meet-up on 24 Jul at premises of Luma Networks, attended by about 20 professionals. Our ANZ-SDN alliance is featured in the Sydney Morning Herald IT Pro Section of 25 July.
- The ANZ-SDN alliance launch event had 35 attendees from 20 organisations. Talks focused on early deployment experiences and risks, and demos showcased WAN-routing and Home-Networking use-cases of SDN. We have video-taped the talks, and hope to put them up on YouTube soon.
- Two of our papers "Personalising Pollution Exposure Estimates Using Wearable Activity Sensors" and "Mobile Crowdsourcing Older People’s Opinions to Enhance Liveability in Regional City Centres" have been presented at ISSNIP 2014 in Singapore. Slides for the talks are available under the publications link above.
- We have founded an SDN alliance called anzSDN, with the aim of fostering an SDN community in the Australia New Zealand region. The preliminary charter and membership information can be found at the alliance web-site.
- Our paper "Loki: A Privacy-Conscious Platform for Crowdsourced Surveys" received the Best Paper Award at COMSNETS in Bangalore, India. This paper develops a platform for privacy-aware crowd-sourcing of data. Our platform and mobile app are avaiable here. Slides for the talk are available here.
- We presented our paper "Virtualizing the Access Network via Open APIs" at ACM CoNEXT in Santa Barbara, California, USA. This paper develops APIs, powered by SDN, that allow a content provider (Netflix, Dropbox, etc.) to dynamically provision capacity on the ISP-operated access link to better control quality of experience. Talk slides are available here.
- We presented our paper "User Control of Quality of Experience in Home Networks using SDN" at IEEE ANTS in Chennai, India. This paper shows how SDN APIs can allow home users to customise their Internet experience. Talk slides are available here.
We organised an SDN workshop at UNSW. It was attended by over 20 people, representing 8 Universities in Australia / New Zealand, and commercial entities including iiNet, AATNet, Google, PWC, etc. The main action items are to set up an SDN Alliance in ANZ comprising developers and end-users, and to build a large test-bed for SDN experimentation in ANZ.